Friday 19 May 2017

Lolita as Formal Attire ๐Ÿ’œ

I've seen a lot of discussions over the years in the lolita community about whether or not lolita is acceptable to wear for [insert event]. I'm inclined to say that it can be dressed up or down for pretty much anything, and all you really need to worry about is how practical it will be for you, and the attitude of the people who will be attending the event. As with anything in life, it's important to be respectful of other people's feelings. For example, it would seem a little inappropriate to turn up to the wedding of someone you don't know very well in a shiro coordinate. It may also be taken rather offensively if you turn up to a sombre occasion, such as a funeral, wearing an OTT sweet coordinate without asking anyone's permission. Balance is key, and you have to be sensible enough to realise when it's better to put the frills away that day.

Thus far, I've never run into any problems wearing lolita for various non-lolita occasions and events. I've worn lolita to a school prom, to two weddings, and a baptism, as far as formal events go, and I received nothing but compliments on my attire. One thing I do like about the fashion is that once you've amassed a cohesive wardrobe, you never really need to worry about buying dresses for upcoming formal events, provided your personal lolita style isn't too outrageous! But like I said, if the attitude of the other people going to the event is more relaxed where self expression through clothing is concerned, you probably won't need to worry too much.

My most recent formal event was a baptism, and for the occasion I wore Trick Hat, Pricked Heart. It's what I sometimes refer to as my "Holy Grail" dress, as the only time I ever saw it come up for sale is the time I bought it... and that was rather a while after I first wanted it! I'm not sure if it's a legitimate rarity or if those who first bought the dress on release simply love it as much as I do and would never part from it. Either way, I always feel so happy to see this piece in my collection, especially after I spent a while assuming I would never own it, and it was fun to give it an outing after having not worn it at all in 2016.

My family are totally unfazed by my alternative leanings, and my extended family don't even bat an eyelid when I rock up to events in a lolita coordinate, so I had no worries there. I went for something relatively casual, as honestly, I feel the print speaks for itself.

Hairbow: Handmade
Bolero: New Look
Jumperskirt: Trick Hat, Pricked Heart- Alice and the Pirates
Bag: Angelic Pretty
Shoes: Bodyline

I really like the way I match my bedroom here! I always love having the fairy picture on the wall, but it looks particularly lovely with this dress!

I ended up posting this coordinate in a casual, daily lolita coordinates group on facebook and was surprised by the positive feedback. I'm not sure if I'll post again, but it was fun to have that little bit of interaction with the lolita community at large for a moment, as it's not something I do much of these days. 

So... have any of you ever worn lolita to a formal event? How did you go about coordinating your outfit? I'd love to hear about it!

Thanks for reading and looking, and I'll see you next time 

4 comments:

  1. Perfect coordinate. I think trick hat work good with casual coordinates, there is so many small details in the dress, so it dob't need more than you did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! That's such a sweet comment <3
      I completely agree! It has so many little details already that it seems unnecessary to add anything fussy to it.

      Delete
  2. My family is basically the same: very accepting and some of them kind of look forward to seeing what I'll wear. Funnily enough I recently wore Lolita to a christening as well: I wore Baby's Sugar Bouquet Shirring Princess JSK and got nothing but compliments. I feel like Classic Lolita would fit with many formal events quite easily, so as long as the outfit is context appropriate and you know or have cleared with others that they won't mind, Lolita is great for formal events.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad your family are just as laid back, and have enjoyed the lolita outfits they've seen you in ^_^
      I agree--the more neutral colours and sophisticated motifs of classic really do lend themselves to formal occasions! I'd say it's more sweet and gothic coordinates where you can run into problems, but so long as others are happy with you expressing yourself through fashion at their event, it'll be a non-issue.

      Delete